Wednesday 24 October 2012

DOTN - Smash Pizza

So tonight's Dinner of the Night (DOTN) is Smash Pizza!

In an earlier post I had mentioned I made Smash Pizza.  It hadn't quite turned out correctly, so I thought I would give it another go and blog how I did it.

The version I made is free on EE.


Ingredients



Smash/Mr Mash
Passata/Tomato Puree
Any pizza topping you like
Cheese



Method

Firstly, make up the smash.  Do not follow the instructions on the packet, as you do not want a runny consistency, just add the water slowly.  The smash should be fairly tough and you should be able to roll the smash mix into a ball like dough.



Next, press the smash into whatever tin/tray you wish to use.  I was trying to do this with a flat fish slice, but it was just sticking.  I soon found using your hands was the best method!!  I put it in a nice round tin but can easily just mould it in to whatever shape you like on a normal oven tray.


Put the smash base in the oven. You want to get the smash base as crispy and cooked as you can.  Every oven will be different, but I ended up having mine in for about 30 mins.



While waiting on the base, get the rest of your ingredients ready! The rest of your ingredients are completely dependent on what you like on a pizza, or, in my case, what is in the cupboard!!  I opted for chicken, cold meat, pepppers, onions, pineapple and cheese.



When the base comes out, it is time to top your pizza :)  
I started with the tomato topping, using passata and added some mixed herbs.



Then arrange your toppings.  I ended up leaving about 1/4 on the chopping board as I had prepared a wee bit too much!!



Pop in the oven for about 15/20 minutes and it should be ready.  Lift out carefully and see the finished results!!

                      

Looks yummy :)

I then served half of it with side salad and a dip made up of quark, yogurt, onion, garlic and chilli.



The Verdict

Looks = Amazing!!

Taste = Lovely   BUT  It doesn't have the consistency of a pizza.  The smash does not make a  stable enough pizza base that you are able to pick up and eat (well you could but I think it would be messy!!). But with the mixture of the toppings and the 'stodge' of the smash base, I love it!!




1 comment:

  1. I'm having this tonight and its the first time I've cooked it, so i love the idea of making it in a cake tin. I'm that excited i just want to finish work early to go home and make it!

    ReplyDelete